Tiger Fight, September 30, The New York Times reported that after weeks of delay and discussion, FIFA plans to order clubs to release their players to participate in the World Preliminary Qualifying Tournament next week. Previously, due to the epidemic of the new crown virus, this move was worried that it might be opposed by various teams, leagues and player unions.
At last week’s meeting, the leagues of various leagues, the association of top European clubs, and the International Football Players’ Association put pressure on FIFA to relax its rules on the recruitment of players for the preliminaries next month.
According to three people familiar with the matter, FIFA plans to agree not to require players to participate in warm-up matches and friendly matches, but will enforce the release requirements of the first round of the South American World Preliminaries and UEFA matches. This decision will require the clubs to release the European and South American footballers as soon as this week, and the team’s union believes that these players’ journeys will be accompanied by certain risks. Due to the isolation regulations, players will miss club games after returning .
This provision may also trigger a confrontation between FIFA and giants. For a long time, clubs and leagues have been upset about the issue that they have no say in their players' participation in the national team.
The U.S. Major League and some teams wrote to the South American Football Association last Friday stating that they would not release players to participate in the game. They believe that because of the US quarantine requirements and concerns about testing procedures in other regions, they have the right to prevent players from going to the national team.
Subsequently, the South American Football Association wrote to FIFA the same day, urging it to implement the regulations. This open letter, personally signed by South American Football Association President Alejandro Domingos, insists that failure to do so will affect the integrity of the World Preliminaries. Dominguez asked FIFA to impose sanctions on any violations in the letter.
According to FIFA regulations, if a player ignores compliance requirements, FIFA can prohibit him from participating in club matches within 5 days after the end of the national match day; at the same time, it can also impose penalties on the club where the player belongs, the usual way is a fine . The president of the International Football Players Association said that FIFA’s decision will put players in trouble next week, forcing them to either ignore their personal health or face penalties.
"The reality is that we are in the midst of a virus epidemic. If players make decisions for their own safety, they will be punished. This idea is wrong." Jonas Bell, Secretary General of the International Football Players Association Hoffman said.
In the past, players and clubs would announce minor injuries to players before the international match day to avoid the national team's release regulations. Many people expect that a large number of similar minor injuries will be diagnosed in the next week.
At present, the FIFA proposal for the October international competition will require a minimum turnaround time of 72 hours for the new crown test results, which is more lenient than the previous 48 hours stipulated in September. Players are infected with the virus before waiting for the results. The risk may be greater.
Although FIFA is also taking action to implement regulations on the World Preliminaries, it will also relax the regulations on warm-up matches. This decision was welcomed by people, but it also caused people to be confused about the "health first" creed that FIFA has repeatedly emphasized during the epidemic; critics of the strict implementation of the release regulations said that regardless of the stakes of the game, The risk of contracting the virus will not change.